- This event has passed.
Ataxia Group Event: Adapted Kayaking
August 12, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Ataxia Group Event: Kayaking with the Baltimore Adapted Recreation Sports Organization and their Members
Please join the Johns Hopkins Ataxia Center Network and the Baltimore Adapted Recreation Sports (BARS) and their members with disabilities for a fun day of kayaking and picnicking. The kayaks are adapted for people with disabilities and trained staff and volunteers are available to assist people.
IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS EVENT IS LIMITED in space and ONLY FOR PEOPLE WITH ATAXIA BETWEEN OVER THE AGE OF 18. Deadline for registration is Wednesday, July 18th.
To register, please send an email with your name, address and phone number to both Pam Lehnert at BARS and Donna D. Neuworth at the JHU Ataxia Center.
Please see more detailed information below and email or call Donna at 410-616-2811 if you have questions or need additional information. We hope you can make this fun event!
Program details are below. Please review to ensure you are able to meet all requirements to participate:
- Each client registers for a 1 ½ hour time slot (this includes set up in the kayak and paddling on the water)
- We have both single and tandem (made for two) available for use.
- Pontoons can be placed on kayaks for greater stability if needed
- Friends and family members are welcome to go out with you.
- No prior experience is necessary, basic paddling instruction will be provided.
- A volunteer will go out with each kayaker. If you are going in a tandem and need a volunteer in your kayak to assist with paddling, let us know when you register.
- Life jackets must be worn and are provided
- Transfers – if assistance is required, our volunteers are able to assist
- The ability to paddle is not required
- Grip and upper body strength/functioning – we have assistive devices for those with decreased
grip strength and or upper body strength
- You must be able to hold your head up unsupported
- You must be able to sit up without strapping or front torso support. There is back support and
limited side support can be provided
***PRIOR TO PARTICIPATING You MUST demonstrate the ability to log roll in the water (go from face down to face up) or show that you can get a breath of air when face down in the water. This will be performed with a life jacket on.
To register: email Pamela and Donna. Please state if you need a single or tandem kayak (if unsure, Pam will guide you).
***Once registered, you will be emailed paperwork that must be completed and returned to confirm
There are accessible bathrooms with a changing area on site.